Corgi Avro Vulcan B.2 XM575, RAF No.101 Sqn, Waddington Wing, 1975
One of the most distinctive military aircraft ever to take to the skies, the mighty Avro Vulcan provided Britain with a high-profile nuclear deterrent during the 'Cold War'.
Lincolnshire's RAF Waddington base will always be inextricably linked with the operation of the Avro Vulcan bomber, with the station welcoming the first Vulcans to enter RAF service with No.83 Squadron in 1957 and going on to serve as home to the last flying Vulcan (XH558) of the Vulcan Display Flight until its disbandment in 1992.
Avro Vulcan XM575 was the second B.2 Blue Steel equipped aircraft to be fitted with the upgraded Olympus 301 engines and would go on to see service with Nos 617, 101, 50 and 44 Squadrons, as part of both the Scampton and Waddington Wings during its career. Retired from RAF service the following year, her final flight would be to East Midlands Airport and a new career as the centrepiece of the East Midlands Aeropark, where she can still be admired.
Corgi's fourth large-scale release of this incredible aircraft continues the series in fine form. The mixture of diecast fuselage with plastic wings still gives the model a hefty feel without being too heavy for the scale undercarriage.
The upper surfaces are finished beautifully in wonderfully matt camouflage paint and adorned with some truly astonishing fine printing, whilst the anti-flash white underside is just as good.
The sturdy undercarriage can either be fitted or hidden away, and Corgi's tried and tested stand system for large scale aircraft holds this fabulous lady securely for in-flight display.
Another absolute beauty to add to your squadron and it will certainly be an instant conversation starter when fellow collectors come round.