Revealed: stamp collectors' favourite British stamp set of 2017
Last month we asked Stamp & Coin Mart facebook followers and website visitors to share their views on the British stamps issued during 2017, and we can now reveal the results.
The favourite stamp set of 2017 was: David Bowie.
Royal Mail issued ten Special Stamps as a tribute to David Bowie in March 2017, marking the first time Royal Mail has dedicated an entire stamp issue to an individual music artist or cultural figure. Read more about the stamp set.
The top five favourite stamp sets of 2017 were as follows:
- David Bowie - issued on 17 March 2017
- Ancient Britain - 17 January 2017
- First World War 1917 - 31 July 2017
- Classic Toys - 22 August 2017
- Songbirds - 4 May 2017
The survey also revealed collectors' views on GB stamps and their collecting habits, as follows:
'How many of this year's special stamp sets have you added to your collection?'
- None - 24%
- 1 to 5 stamp sets - 41%
- 5 to 10 stamp sets - 12%
- Every special stamp set - 23%
Some of the views on Royal Mail stamps shared by collectors included:
- 'Too many high values need more 2nd class'
- 'Stamp issues should be more relevant to the history and affairs of Great Britain'
- 'Such a lovely collection this year and very worthy additions to my collection'
- 'Too much repetition of themes over the years. Time for some novelties'
You can read more comments and results in the March 2018 issue of Stamp & Coin Mart magazine.