CCofGB - Features
Beginners Dolls House Project - Making Miniature Dolls House Hats
Kat Hazelton the Hat Lady
An easy dolls house project to make miniature ladies hats from cardboard and string. Kat has used hemp twine for these hats, a fantastic thread used in macrame, jewellery making and primitive craft. It is available in a wide variety of colours and thicknesses, and ideal for creating a great imitation 1/12th scale miniature straw hat. Cards and balls of this twine are readily available through most craft shops, and you can often get a ball of natural hemp at garden centres. Kat recommends using 1mm thickness for these hats.
- A4 sheet of thin white card
- Ball of hemp twine, natural or coloured
- Tacky Glue
- Cocktail Stick
- Cut a length of card 5/8" x 3".
- Gently bend the card around your finger/thumb to form a circle with about a 3/8" overlap.
- With a cocktail stick, apply glue to the overlap and leave to dry.
- Cut a rough square slightly larger than the circular crown
- Run a bead of glue around one end of the crown and glue to the square
- Leave to dry, once dry, neatly cut around the edges.
- Run a line of glue around the bottom edge of the crown, and glue on the hemp twine, rotating and pressing down as you go.
- Repeat, adding more glue, rotating and pressing until you reach the top.
- Next apply glue to the entire top, and continue spiraling until you reach the centre.
- Cut the twine and glue down the cut end.
- Cut a circle with a 2" diameter from the card.
- Cut out a 3/4" circle from the middle of the brim
- As before, use glue to cover the card with twine until you reach the centre.
- Glue down the end. Trim the outer edges so that the card doesn't show. Leave to dry.
- Repeat with the underside of the brim.
- Glue the crown to the brim & leave to dry.
- The hat is now ready to decorate.
This project was first published in Dolls House & Miniature Scene magazine. For more beginners projects why not order yourself a copy of the magazine, or better still, why not take out a subscription so that you never miss an issue.
Please take a moment once you've finished your hats to check out the beginners project to make flowers, leaves and feather trimmings for your miniature dolls house hats.